Sumac Roasted Potatoes. A deliciously crispy roast potato dish with the dominant flavour of Sumac, a popular Middle Eastern spice. We have recently discovered Sumac and seriously, what a beautiful explosion of flavors.
Roast Potatoes are loved globally. We all have our unique ways to roast potatoes be it with the simple salt and pepper. I love roasting potatoes for my family in several ways. There are times I love creating a rich spice mix for our roast potato dish. Potatoes are filling and pretty good carbs when not deep-fried!
I have used Spice Tribe Wild Cured Sumac as the main ingredient here in the marinade for the baby potatoes. I decided to make a marinade that is similar to the way I would make the famous, Tandoori Paneer Tikka. The marinade ensures moist and very flavorful potatoes even after they have been cooked and roasted well.
Prep time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1.5 lb Baby Potatoes
- 2 tbsp Chickpea Flour optional, but recommended
- ½ cup Greek Yogurt
- 3 tbsp Spice Tribe Wild Cured Sumac
- 1.5 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder or Paprika
- ½ tsp Black Pepper freshly ground
- 2-3 tbsp Oil of your choice
- 1/2 cup Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- Salt to taste
- Roast the chickpea flour for about 5 minutes until it turns fragrant and nutty; do not brown.
- Wash the baby potatoes and add them in boiling water. Cook until 50% done, drain and keep aside. Peel and halve them. You may choose to keep the peel on as well.
- In a mixing bowl, add the yogurt, cooled chickpea flour, sumac, ginger garlic paste, chilli powder, black pepper and 1 tbsp oil.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for about 1 to 2 hours.
- Remove 15 minutes before you are ready to cook the potatoes.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed pan. I like to use a cast iron wok. Add 1-2 tbsp oil followed by the marinated potatoes.
- Toss them around and let cook on a medium flame for about 15 minutes. Keep turning every now and then so that they get roasted evenly.
- Once the potatoes have a good sear on all side, remove from the flame.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve hot immediately after garnishing with coriander leaves and a drizzle of some lime juice.
Things to remember
- The key to good potatoes lies in a good marinade and roasting them at the right temperature thereafter. I prefer to marinate for about an hour in the refrigerator and take them out at least 15-20 minutes I would toss them in a hot cast iron pan.