by kayla @theoriginaldish.com
I am beyond excited to bring you another series of recipes using Spice Tribe spices! Throughout last year, I used all of their freshly ground spice blends in different recipes – some of my favorites being these moroccan chicken meatballs, grilled fish tacos, and vinegar glazed roasted potatoes!
The spices are so unique and so flavorful. I’ve simply loved using them and being inspired to create recipes with influences from different cuisines. I’ll be continuing with more exciting recipes using the blends this year, as well as experimenting with their new single origin spices.
Get ready for LOTS of flavor and inspiration. Starting with this spicy grilled shrimp salad that uses California Love – an all-purpose chile blend of california chile, cumin, coriander, garlic, onion, oregano, and bay leaf.
Prep time: 30-40 minutes
Cook time: 5-10 minutes
Serves: 2 - 4
- 1 lb peeled + deveined shrimp
- vegetable oil
- kosher salt
- 2 tbsp California Love chile spice blend
- 1 jalapeño
- 1/2 pineapple, peeled and cut into 1/4" planks
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 oz baby arugula
- 4 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into slices
- 2 small radishes, shaved thin
- 6 basil leaves, torn
- lime wedges, for serving
- Place the shrimp into a mixing bowl. Add 2 tbsp of oil, 1 tbsp kosher salt, and the chile spice blend. Toss well. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Transfer to a room temperature bowl and let sit for 10 minutes before grilling.
- Meanwhile, heat grill to high heat. Coat the jalapeño and pineapple slices with a drizzle of oil and a pinch of salt. Grill both for a few minutes until charred on all sides and tender. Remove from the grill. Peel jalapeño and remove the stem. Chop finely. Dice the pineapple, removing any hard core sections.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the lime juice, lime zest, red wine vinegar, honey and garlic. Drizzle in the oil, whisking continuously. Season with a pinch of salt to taste. Set aside.
- When the shrimp is ready, place onto grill and cook for a couple of minutes on each side until charred and pink. Allow to cool for a few minutes before assembling the salad.
- Add the arugula, cherry tomatoes, avocado, radish, basil, pineapple and shrimp to the bowl of vinaigrette. Toss well. Taste and season with more salt if needed. Serve immediately with lime wedges on the side.