Dale Gray @thedaleyplate
Spatchcocked Mama Manje Roasted Chicken with Peaches & Herbs (haha) served with a version of tangy, spicy Haitian Pikliz. I had a friend for many years, who loved a good roasted chicken. She taught me her way to clean and preseason chicken with lemon and salt; and talked constantly about Pikliz, Sos Pwa, Epis and Kremas. This meal was inspired by those days, using the Spice Tribe Mama Manje blend containing all the best flavors (green bell pepper, onion, thyme, cinnamon, garlic, ginger, habanero, star anise) that I felt would go perfectly with sweet peaches…The tangy pikliz (pickled vegetables) spooned on top provides just enough acidity and heat. My friend and I don’t speak anymore, but I’ll always remember her. I guess part of maturity is also knowing that people come in and out of your life for a season. It was so great, I do hope she sees this.
Prep time: 4 hours
Cook time: 1 hour
Serves: 4 - 6
- 2lb whole chicken
- 1/2 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 whole lemon or lime, sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Spice Tribe Mama Manje Haitian Blend
- 2-3 garlic cloves, very finely minced
- 2 yellow peaches, sliced
- 1/4 cup herbs of your choice: parsley, thyme, oregano all work
- FOR THE PIKLIZ:
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 4 thinly sliced scotch bonnet peppers
- 1/4 cup yellow, green and red bell peppers, sliced fine
- 1/2 yellow or red onion, sliced fine
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- a few whole peppercorns
- (Cleaning your chicken this way is completely optional. Simply season, marinate and roast if that is your preferred method.)
- Place chicken on a clean surface, use kitchen shears to remove backbone. Flip chicken over with legs facing out and press down firmly until you hear a pop. Your chicken is now spatchcocked! Using clean hands, rub the salt all over the bird to remove impurities followed by lemon or lime. Cover, refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour then rinse off salt.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan, combine spices, garlic and olive oil in a small bowl and rub evenly all over chicken (front and back).
- Cover and refrigerate for minimum 3 hours for the flavor to soak in.
- Remove chicken from the fridge 30 minutes before roasting breast side up at 450F for 45 minutes to 1 hour until internal temp is 160F.
- Add peaches and onion halfway through, basting with juices.
- Rest for 15 minutes after removing from the oven, scatter with herbs and serve with pickled vegetables.
- I added some garlic butter at the end.
- FOR THE PIKLIZ:
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for PIKLIZ.
- Add to a jar and press down with a weight.
- Refrigerate for at least a day. Keeps for a long time and gets better with age.