- 4-5 slices kombu
- 6 cups water (this will reduce to 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup bonito flakes
- 2 tablespoons Spice Tribe Japanese Blend
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 1 thumb fresh turmeric, minced/grated
- 1 thumb fresh ginger, minced/grated
- 2 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 yukon gold potato, cubed
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add 6 cups of water to a pot to begin your dashi broth. Soak your kombu on medium low heat. Once it gets soft, bring to a boil. Remove kombu. Add your bonito flakes and when they go to the bottom of the pot, drain. Set your broth aside.
- n a deep pot or dutch oven, sweat our your onions, Japanese blend, shallot and garlic clove. Add in your potatoes. Stir in salt, pepper and your turmeric, chili flakes, ginger and miso. Let everything melt and come together.
- Next add your butternut squash and stir. Once all the flavors are throughout this, add your homemade dashi broth. Let your soup simmer on medium-low until all your vegetables are fork tender. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Bring back to your pot, warm and serve. Adjust with salt and pepper.