by Dale Gray @thedaleyplate
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 lb 80/20 ground beef and pork blend
- 1 extra large egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs or pork panko for low carb eaters (I like @baconsheir)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 yellow onion, grated (My moms trick, gives the meatballs flavor but makes the onions undetectable visually - mostly for picky eaters)
- 4 cloves garlic, very finely minced or made into a paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Spice Tribe Marrakesh Sitar Blend
- My Feta Sauce:
- 4 oz feta
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- minced clove of garlic
- zest and juice of a small lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh herbs (dill, parsley, chives, oregano are all good)
- The other half of the onion sliced thinly, 1/4 red onion sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar (or monk fruit sweetener for low carb eaters)
- To Serve:
- Pita or flatbread of your choice
- fresh herbs
- grated carrots
- chopped golden raisins
- toasted pine nuts
- Gently combine meatball ingredients in a bowl and use clean hands to roll into 1 oz balls.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, roast or broil for 12-15 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- You could also do this in a skillet, flipping with a fork halfway through to ensure both sides are golden.
- Feta Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place in a small bowl for dipping, or drizzle over the top.
- Toss all ingredients together and stir with a fork until the sugar dissolves.
- Serve on the side as a garnish with your pita
- To Serve:
- Sprinkle herbs, raisins and pinenuts on a plate.
- Place meatballs on top.
- Serve with marinated onions, warm pita and feta sauce.
Things to remember
- Cook one meatball in a skillet first to ensure you’re happy with the seasonings, if not you can adjust and then cook the rest.