Chef Pato @chefpatricio_spicetribe
Tomato season is here and this healthy, quick and easy recipe is perfect for summertime as a dish on itself or a side dish for any grilled protein. The sweet tomatoes, crunchy croutons, crisp cucumber and celery, briny capers berries and fragrant basil pairs well with our Wild Cured Sumac and Ancient Halaby Blend; however, let your imagination run free and customize it to your liking! There is nothing like the taste of a freshly picked tomato still warm from the sunshine, the reason why you should keep your tomatoes at room temperature.
Fun Fact: Did you know that the U.S. Supreme Court declared tomatoes a vegetable in 1893?
However, tomatoes are actually a fruit since they grow on a vine and their season runs from May through October.
Prep time: 25
Serves: 4 to 6
- 8 heirloom tomatoes
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 Persian cucumbers, sliced (or 1 English cucumber, seeded)
- 1 medium size red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 celery heart, sliced
- Spice Tribe Wild Cured Sumac Gaziantep Turkey
- Spice Tribe Ancient Halaby Middle Eastern Chile Blend
- Spice Tribe Sacred Valley Pink Peruvian Salt
- Spice Tribe Late Harvest Black Peppercorns
- ½ cup celery leaves
- ½ cup basil leaves, hand torn
- 6 caper berries, cut in half
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Homemade Seasoned Croutons:
- 2 cups day-old bread, cubed
- 1 tsp Spice Tribe Ancient Halaby Middle Eastern Chile Blend
- ¼ tsp Spice Tribe Sacred Valley Pink Peruvian Salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a large mixing bowl combine cubed bread, California Love blend and salt and toss it a couple times. Drizzle olive oil over the bread while stirring to make sure the bread is coated evenly and oil has been absorbed.
- Spread the cubed bread on a sheet pan into an even layer and bake it for approximately 10 minutes.
- Rest of Salad:
- With a serrated knife cut the tomatoes into ½” slices, some in wedges to have different shapes and textures, go ahead a season with some Pink Peruvian Salt so it can start penetrating the flesh. Also, go ahead and cut the cherry tomatoes in half lengthwise.
- Arrange sliced and wedged Heirloom tomatoes, followed with cherry tomatoes, Persian cucumbers, celery, red onions, caperberries, celery leaves and croutons.
- Season generously with more Sacred Valley Pink Peruvian Salt and drizzle the Extra Virgin Olive Oil evenly all over the salad.
- Season generously with Wild Cured Sumac and freshly ground Late Harvest Black Peppercorn. Sprinkle basil leaves on top.
Things to remember
- Do not crowd the croutons. If using fresh bread it may take a bit longer to get golden brown. If bread is super dried and stale it may brown faster so keep an eye on it!!