Chef Pato @chefpatricio_spicetribe
A seafood stew that is quick and easy to make, but tastes like it’s been slow cooked all day long! The hearty stock is packed with lots of flavor as it’s made with delicious vegetables like fennel, onions, garlic, tomatoes and our own Sargol Saffron and Maras Chili Flakes. Purchase the freshest seafood you can find at your local market and this stew will have you getting up for seconds.
Whether it’s a cold winter night or a hot summer night, it makes for a delicious option all year round!
– Chef Pato
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
- 1 ea large yellow onion, small-dice
- 2 ea small fennel bulb (one cut into small-dice, one thinly sliced), reserve fond
- 5 ea garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 lb mussels, clean and debearded
- 2 lb clams, clean and purged
- 1 lb shrimp (16/20), deveined and clean
- 1 lb calamari, tentacles and bodies cleaned and cut into 1inch rings
- 1 lb white fish (rockfish, cod, striped bass), cut into 1inch cubes
- ⅛ tsp Spice Tribe Sargol Saffron
- Spice Tribe Maras Chili Flakes
- Spice Tribe Sacred Valley Pink Peruvian Salt
- Spice Tribe Late Harvest Black Peppercorn
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups fish stock (or clam juice)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 tsp dry oregano
- 1 bunch parsley leaves, chopped
- Baguette, sliced and toasted
- Puree together crushed tomatoes and fish stock, set aside.
- In a large pan, heat up the olive oil over medium-high heat, add the chopped fennel, onions and garlic, season with salt and pepper and cook for 3 to 4 minutes stirring occasionally or until onions start to soften and translucent. Add dry Oregano, Saffron and Chili flakes, stir to combine well.
- Add white wine and reduce by half.
- Add tomato-fish stock mixture and bring to boil, reduce the heat and simmer and adjust seasoning before adding the seafood. It's important to make sure the broth/base is well seasoned before adding seafood, since we ARE NOT seasoning the seafood!
- Add the mussels, clams, shrimp, calamari, fish and cover with a lid. Let it cook for 7 to 8 minutes or until the mussels and clams start to open up.
- Serve immediately, garnish with chopped parsley, thinly sliced fennel, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and toasted baguette.