Chef Patricio Duffoo @chefpatricio_spicetribe
Bright and simple citrus salad with bursts of aromatic spice and briny olives. The key is to get fresh and in season produce to make this colorful salad shine.
This family style Fennel and Seasonal Citrus Salad has the kind of bursting flavor you crave during the citrus seasons. It’s bright, simple, and has bursts of aromatic spice and briny olives to make every bite as satisfying as the next. The key is to get fresh and in season produce to make this colorful salad shine.
Serve this at your next outdoor get together and be prepared to be asked for the recipe.
– Chef Pato
Serves: 1 family style serving
- 2ea medium size fennel bulbs, sliced very thinly. Save some of the fronds.
- 2ea Cara Cara oranges, cut into wheels (skin and pith removed)
- 2ea Navel oranges, cut into wheels (skin and pith removed)
- 2ea Grapefruit, cut into wheels (skin and pith removed)
- 2ea Persian cucumber, sliced
- 1cup Castelvetrano olive (or any other green olives) pitted and cut in half
- 2ea shallot, thinly sliced
- ½cup mint leaves, small ones
- 1tbsp Spice Tribe Ancient Halaby blend
- 2tsp Spice Tribe Wild Cured Sumac
- 1tbsp Spice Tribe Sacred Valley Pink Peruvian Salt
- ½tsp Spice Tribe Late Harvest Black Peppercorn, ground
- 4tbsp olive oil
- Using a very sharp knife slice a bit off the top and bottom of the citrus fruit (oranges and grapefruit) so it sits flat on a cutting board. Starting at the top of the fruit cut the peel away following the curve of the fruit down towards the cutting board. Continue around the entire fruit until all the peel has been removed. Place the fruit on its side and slice crosswise into pinwheels. The idea is to take off the peel with pith and membrane without removing much of the fruit.
- Using a Japanese slicer or very sharp knife slice the fennel, cucumber and shallots. Set aside.
- Arrange sliced fruit, fennel, cucumber, shallots and olives on a plate. Sprinkle with salt, Sumac, Ancient Halaby blend and ground black peppercorn, drizzle olive oil on top, sprinkle fennel fronds and follow with mint leaves.