The perfect stew for a cool autumn evening that has delicious flavor and is full of protein for a filling dish. It freezes well, so make a big batch and put some away in the freezer to pull out whenever, as it makes for a quick and hearty lunchtime snack or an easy dinnertime meal.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
6-8 qt Dutch oven
- 2-3 T Olive Oil (for sautéeing
- 2 lb Ground Pork
- 2 cups Yellow or White Onion, sliced in approx. 1/4" thick slices
- 2 cups Fennel bulb, sliced in approx. 1/8" thick slices
- 1 cup carrots, chopped into 1/2" chunks
- 1 cup celery, chopped into 1/2" chunks
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Paste or finely minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp Spice Tribe Porcini Paradiso
- 1 quart Chicken Stock
- 1.5 cups Green Lentils
- salt to taste
- Heat oil over medium-high heat. Add ground pork and saute' until cooked. Remove pork and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onions and fennel to pan drippings, sauté for 1 minute, then place lid on pot for two minutes (careful not to let it burn). Remove lid, onions should have begun to caramelize.
- Add carrots and celery and saute' for 1 minute.
- Add garlic, sauté one more minute.
- Add Porcini Paradiso, stir well, then stir in the chicken stock.
- Add in the lentils, and salt to taste, stir well, and bring to a simmer.
- Turn heat to medium low and place lid on pot. Let cook for approximately 30 minutes, until lentils are beginning to soften.
- Add ground pork back into pot. Heat through, adjust salt to taste, and serve immediately.