Dale Gray @thedaleyplate
Prep time: 30 minutes with time for cooling
Cook time: 25 minutes
8″ Oven proof baking dish
Large sauté pan
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced or chopped
- 1 tbsp freshly minced garlic
- 1lb ground chicken (or lean beef, turkey, starchy veg)
- 1 1/2 tbsp Spice Tribe Porcini Paradiso blend
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp each kosher salt + freshly ground black pepper
- 2 punnets (16 oz) quartered mushrooms (I used both button and baby portobello)
- 1 1/4 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- optional: 1/2 tsp fresh thyme and rosemary
- 10-12 sheets phyllo pastry
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium, add onions and garlic then sauté for 3-5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add chicken and spices, cook until chicken is no longer opaque.
- Add mushrooms and continue to stir until they have released their moisture and reduced in size - 5-8 minutes.
- Add cornstarch, stir, followed by chicken stock.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened then finish with heavy cream.
- Season to taste and add optional fresh herbs.
- Allow to cool before proceeding.
- Layer sheets of phyllo pastry in an 8-inch ovenproof dish, brushing with melted butter as you go.
- You’ll have overlap (see stories) but that’s good because we will fold it over at the end.
- Spoon cool filling into the dish and fold phyllo pastry over, completely covering the top.
- Brush with olive oil or butter and bake for 25 minutes at 375F.
- Remove from oven, slice and serve immediately.
- I sometimes flip the pie at the end and broil for an additional 2-3 minutes to get the bottom crispier.