Growing up in Northern California, the kitchen was the heartbeat of my house. I often found myself wandering in, drawn there by the amazing smells that made their way to my room. My Dad was the cook of the family, and he never hesitated to put me to work chopping, slicing and doing the dishes. I loved our time there together. His favorite cuisines were the heat packed flavors of New Mexico and New Orleans. Open the pantry on any given day, and bags of dried chiles in every size and color would literally spill out. To say he was a fanatic is an understatement, he loved his chiles and loved to cook for us, so they made it into practically every meal we ate.
California Love — All Purpose Chile Blend is definitely not as hot as what I grew up with, but instead is perfect for family taco night or a pot of chile con carne; bold in flavor and not too spicy. Use it in any recipe that calls for chile powder. Inspired by the flavors of my childhood, this blend is dedicated to my Dad, whose passion in the kitchen set me on my path of spreading love through food.
With California love All Purpose Chile Blend, steak night will never be the same. Roasted Pepper Sauce goes well drizzled over rice, or even on tacos. Experiment and let us know!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes (includes time for resting the meat)
Barbeque (propane or coals), Kitchen tongs
- 1–2 pounds Flank Steak (6–8 oz per person)
- ~ 1 Tbsp Kosher Salt
- ~ 1 Tbsp California Love — All Purpose Chile Blend
- Olive Oil
- Rub steak with olive oil and season liberally with salt and spice blend, coating all sides.
- Grill 3–5 minutes per side over high heat for medium rare.
- Let rest for 5 minutes so the juices can redistribute.
- Slice against the grain and serve with California Love Roasted Pepper Sauce.
- Serve with California Love Roasted Pepper Sauce
Things to remember
- Remove the steak from the refrigerator at least ½ hour ahead of time will help it cook more evenly
- Don’t be afraid to season your steak well — using more seasoning than is called for in this recipe to coat your steak well
- Cut your steak into portion sizes for ease in fitting onto your home grill
- Make sure to slice against the grain (see below)
- Try making homemade tortillas!